Most people know that diet is equally (or sometimes more) important for muscle building as exercise. Protein supplements can offer great support to fulfill any need. Whey protein and hemp protein are popular protein supplements (such as effective gummies or capsules) for muscle building. So, if you feel confused about which one is better, keep reading. Here, we will share a comparative guide to help you find the best one.
What Is Hemp Protein?
Hemp protein is a plant-based protein that helps fill the lack of protein in an everyday diet. It does not contain any dairy ingredients and is free from all kinds of allergens present in dairy products. Also, hemp protein is a safe and reliable option for lactose-sensitive and vegan people. Many hemp-derived protein supplements are available on the market, like effective gummies, powders, and more. You can also buy hemp gummies very easily.
Benefits of Hemp Protein
Hemp protein (in the form of powder, effective gummies, or capsules) offers various health benefits and supports muscle growth. Here, we will discuss some essential benefits you get from hemp protein:
- Supports heart health: Heart health is not only crucial for muscle building; it is also important for your overall well-being. Hemp protein has omega 3 and 6, which are crucial for the heart.
- Rich in nutrition: Hemp-derived protein supplements are also rich in nutrition. It contains many essential nutrients like zinc, potassium, iron, magnesium, fiber, etc.
- Helps in muscle growth and repair: Hemp protein supplements also contain high amounts of arginine and amino acids essential for promoting muscle growth and increasing recovery rates.
- Regulates digestion: Hemp protein supplements are also good for increasing metabolism and bowel movement.
What Is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is an animal-based protein produced from milk. It is a by-product of cheesemaking. During cheese production, milk kills unwanted and harmful bacteria. This heating results in cheese and whey liquid. The liquid is further processed to make several whey protein products, such as powders, effective gummies, and more.
Benefits of Whey Protein
Whey protein supplements are quite popular among people for muscle building. This dairy-based protein supplement offers various health benefits, like:
- Improves cardiovascular health: Several studies show that whey protein helps to reduce cholesterol levels and prevent the chances of heart disease.
- Helps in weight loss: Whey protein successfully suppresses your metabolism and keeps you full for a long time. So, it can work great for weight-loss goals.
- Reduces blood pressure: Multiple studies on whey protein show that it contains essential ingredients that lower blood pressure and keep you healthy.
- Reduces inflammation: Whey protein has natural anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation, leading to several health problems.
Hemp vs. Whey Protein: Source
If you want to get some good-quality, effective gummies (protein) or powder for muscle building, then both whey and hemp can offer significant benefits. However, they come from entirely different sources. While whey is primarily sourced from cow milk, an animal-based dairy, whey protein is a by-product of cheese production. Hemp protein is sourced from the hemp plant, which means it is a plant-based protein that does not contain any dairy substance or ingredient.
Hemp vs. Whey Protein: Nutritional value
Below is a chart of hemp and whey protein nutrition value for a brief comparison-
|Hemp protein (per 30g)
|Whey protein (per 30g)
|Protein (in grams)
|Carb (in grams)
|Fiber (in grams)
|% RDA of iron
|% RDA of calcium
Hemp vs. Whey Protein: Additives
Hemp protein is sourced from hemp plants and does not contain any additives, which means it is 100% natural. However, manufacturing whey protein requires a special additive called hexane that helps separate whey powder from lactose.
Currently, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention classify hexane as a neurotoxic element. In addition, whey protein also contains several toxic metals, such as arsenic, cadmium, and lead.
Hemp vs. Whey Protein: Amino Acid Profile
Amino acid is essential to boost muscle growth by increasing cell and muscle synthesis. Both hemp and whey proteins contain an amino acid profile as a protein source. However, their amino acid profile is not the same. Hemp contains all nine essential amino acid profiles for muscle building. However, the amino acid profile is low in hemp. On the other hand, whey protein has a high amino acid profile, including high levels of leucine and lysine. As a result, it works excellently for promoting muscle growth.
Hemp vs. Whey Protein: Unique Compounds
Whey protein is rich in calcium, which is crucial in maintaining bone and muscle health. In addition, whey also contains several peptides, such as lactoperoxidase, lactoferrin, and immunoglobulins, that are essential to prevent oxidative stress and protect the immune system.
On the other hand, hemp protein includes several unique compounds, including omega 6, GLA, edestin, and more. These additional health-beneficial compounds boost overall health and muscle growth.